Treasures

Treasures

Tuesday, March 5, 2013

A Name Like No Other

It's that time of year around here. The time when we get out the notebooks, the pens, and the discipline that's required.

It's time for Bible study.

I love women's Bible study. I love the closeness it brings. I love the camaraderie that is shared. I love the joy and the tears that bind us together like no other time can. It's people being Jesus to each other and learning how this Christian life is lived out in the trenches,

I'm somewhat of a nerd when it comes to preparing for this event. I have to get all the supplies in order to be ready. I may not be organized in any other area of my life, but I am in this one.  I need the structure of orderliness. And the coffee. You can't have Bible study without coffee, right? :)

Here are a few things that are an absolute must for me:


The notebooks are vital. Where else can you take notes and draw pictures  diagrams?  Not only do they contain thoughts and idea's, but when my children are looking for journals of my life, this is where they need to look.  It's all in there--prayer requests, prayer groanings, life-changing decisions, etc. 


Oh, how I love these! I use them in my Bible and everywhere else. They don't bleed through the pages. And the Treasures like them, also.



And last, but certainly not least,


These are my  "go to" pens. They have a fine point and I just adore them. All colors.


Pardon my weird seriousness about this subject. I look at Bible study as vital to my personal life. Nothing else prepares me for church or service like this. When I look into God's Word and He looks into my heart and see's me for what I really am, there are bound to be changes. I have invested years into this process and I have still have miles to go. However, every time I spend time in studying a subject or a book in the Bible, it never comes without conviction of the soul and a life-changing impression deep in the core.  

This time we are studying the names of God. I first took this particular study eons ago in 1996 led by my personal friend that I adore.  She introduced me to Precept Ministries and I have never studied the Bible the same way since.  She often said, "We don't study the Bible just to study. We study the Bible to be changed by it." Counsel well taken.  "Lord, I Want to Know You" is our choice of study this time. 




In this study I found out Who God is. His names tell us everything we need to live life on this planet. The holy names tell of His character, His nature and His ways.  His names also tell us of His great love for us.  I fell more deeply in love with God. I learned that the more I know Him, the more I trust Him. And in this world of sin and lack of control, I think we need that.  If we trust God, our faith should be deepening. 


I hope our collective prayer is "Lord, I Want to Know You". In knowing Him,  we can say:

The name of the Lord is a strong tower, the righteous runs into it and is safe. Proverbs 18:10


Come join us...the coffee pot will be on. :)




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment.