Treasures

Treasures

Friday, October 5, 2012

A Prayer to Finish Well

The Bible says:

   * Do not be anxious about anything...Philiipians 4

   * He gives strength to the weary and increases the power
      of the weak...Isaiah 40

  * No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful.   Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace...Hebrews 12

   * All athletes are disciplined in their training....So I run with purpose in every step.  I am not just shadow boxing...
      I Corinthians 9


I am counting on all of these truths and more. This weekend I will be running in a local 5K. It's a first for me and today my mind is saying, "What were you thinking?".  I'm really just a "wanna be" runner. I admire the ones who can run like the wind, as some would say. The Olympics seemed to spur on my desire to participate in this area of the sports world, and frankly, I just wanted to give it a shot.

I live within a family that lives and breathes the sports arena.  If they don't play, they watch it. If they don't watch it, they still can converse about it from the almighty ESPN viewpoint. And when the sports world becomes their occupation, that puts everything on another level. This has been the only time I have been able to consider myself a "part of their world".

In getting ready for this day, I've learned a few things:

1. My respect for those who are true athletes has risen.
2. I have discovered that I am undisciplined .
3. It doesn't take long for my body to cry out in pain.
4. When I run I can totally zone out for a while.
5. I hear Jeff Galloway's voice in my sleep.
                        and
6. I have the desire to give this everything I have.

I have been waiting for that Eric Liddell moment...you know the one, "When I run, I feel God's pleasure." It hasn't happened yet. Maybe it never will. Maybe I will get that sense when I have to run up the hill tomorrow. Or not. I don't really know what will happen. George Halas once said,                " Nobody who ever gave his best regretted it."

I want to give my best. I want to finish well,,,or really, just finish. I want to think like Paul, "Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord.." Whatever happens tomorrow, I want to honor God.

My prayer and promise:

But those who hope in the Lord
will renew their strength.
They will soar on wings as eagles;
they will run and not grow weary,
they will walk and not faint.
Isaiah 40:31

Dear Lord, please don't let me faint. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment.