Treasures

Treasures

Monday, October 8, 2012

For Love of the Stuff



I love coffee. I'm not someone who grew up drinking coffee, though. Actually, when my mom would drink it, I thought it smelled bad and wanted nothing to do with it. My love affair with the java began in Bible study..as God intended (grin).  We were studying II Timothy 4..with GW, my favorite.. that cold evening in January. The discussion began with what Paul would have been going through in that dark, damp jail cell and the conditions he was forced to endure. We got to the passage that begins in verses 11-13:

"Only Luke is with me. Get Mark and bring him with you, for he is useful to me for ministry. And Tychicus I have sent to Ephesus. Bring the cloak that I left with Carpus at Troas when you come---and the BOOKS (my emphasis), especially the parchments."

With the phrase, "bring the cloak" I began to envision the temperature and I found myself getting cold. I went into the kitchen where only coffee was available. Because of being cold, I gave in to need for something warm and fixed my very first cup of coffee. It was loaded with cream and sugar and warmed my soul. I was hooked. I felt like a grown-up as I left church that evening. And so began my obsession with the dark brew that makes everything better for me. Ever since that day, I can't do Bible study without coffee right beside me. Rustling pages and the aroma of the coffee pot just go together.




I say all that to say this: It has been 14 days since my last cup of coffee. Our HS Girls Bible classes are participating in the 40 Day Challenge that goes along with See You at the Pole.  It's quite involved with different activities for the duration of the 40 days. And as good teachers, we are participating also. One of the things we were asked to do was fast from something in the time period.  We were to pray and ask God what it would be and declare it at the commissioning service.  I prayed, God answered, I prayed again, God didn't say anything, I begged, I pleaded, and still God didn't answer. He reminded me He had already given the answer. I threw myself on the altar and begged for mercy as I gave in to His desire. One of the things I believed I couldn't do without, God asked me to give up...for 40 days.



I also asked , "Lord, do You know it's October and Pumpkin Spice Latte time?"

And again...Holy silence.

So, now I drink water in the mornings and evenings. Now I make the coffee for our women's Bible study and don't drink it. Now I only smell it in the kitchen at work. And it's ok...God is growing me in ways I never been through before. His still small voice is heard a little more clearly.  He is showing me that what I think I need, I don't. I only need Him. He is sufficient for all my wants, needs and desires.

I still love the stuff. It comforts me.

But I love God more.


"Every day I will bless You,
And I will praise Your name forever and ever.
Great is the Lord, and greatly to be praised;
And His greatness is unsearchable."      Psalm 145:2-3


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment.